Sunday 2 November 2014

What on earth can you do with a paper doily?

The last few weeks have been full on filling 'Crafty What Nots' orders for November as well as getting stock ready for an upcoming craft fair.  This months 'Crafty What Nots' theme was Winter Wonderland and sooooo beautiful!  I loved everything inside this one and I do so hope those who ordered loved theirs too.  I daren't post any photos yet in case people haven't received them yet (delivery over a weekend) but I will soon!



One of the items in the box however were a little pack of paper doilies.  I was desperate to use these since I bought them and they looked so fab in the box, but when it came down to it I couldn't think of anything to make with them!  

First I discovered if I cut out the centre of my little doily and then wrapped the pretty edge around itself I could create this really cute rose.  I bound wire around the base so I could make it stand up.


Then of course I had to try making snowflakes!  They were a bit fiddly but looked so sweet in the end!  Not sure what I would do with them mind maybe stick them on the window or hang them with fishing line?



Lastly I tried this little bauble.  Thought I would share with you how I made it.


Step 1 - I used about 8 doilies.  I started by folding each one in half so that the holes all matched up and they were all exactly the same.


Step 2 - I stuck double sided tape onto one half (avoiding the holes like in the picture)  and carefully lined up another doily and placed it on top.


Step 3 - I repeated the last step with all my doilies.  Like this!


Step 4 - I took a little string cord, I cut a piece about 30cm long and then tied the ends together in a knot


Step 5 - add another bit of doublesided tape as you had done before, this time you need to add an extra bit of tape to cover all the folds.  Stick the string to this bit so the knot is just sticking out of the bottom (this will hopefully stop it pulling out)


Step 6 - Open the doilies out so that you can stick the top of the top doily to the bottom of the bottom doily.  And Hooray! Hopefully you will have a bauble!  I think these would look great with glittered edges!


If you would like to buy these little paper doilies or the string cord then do pop by www.jennysis.com.

Well I hope you have had a wonderful week!

Off to Handmade Harbour now so maybe see you there! 

xxx







19 comments:

  1. I've got a couple of packets of doilies that I bought cos I thought they might be useful..haha they are still in their packets. Might have to make some roses now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same! thought they looked nice but had no idea what to do with them! lol xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely little doily creations! Bet there are some excited peeps out there waiting for their Crafty What Nots box! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooo I do hope so! I really wasn't sure about the doilies at first, but really like using them now!
      xx

      Delete
  3. I like the doily rose idea best. I wonder if the children at school could do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they could, you may need to use bigger paper though. another way to make a rose is to cut a spiral into a circle and wrap it around itself too! they look really good too. xx

      Delete
  4. That doily flower is amazing, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute makes, I particularly like the rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! think I should make a whole bunch next time! xx

      Delete
  6. love the snowflakes! great ideas here thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I used to love make snowflakes when I was little! xx

      Delete
  7. I liked the rose too and a bunch of these in a vase would look very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the size of the rose depends on the size of the doily, I must have a go with bigger ones. I agree, lots would look lovely in a vase! xx

      Delete
  8. Who knew you could make such gorgeous creations from paper doilies! Love them all but i think the rose is my fav x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The flower is amazing - they would make wonderful bridal decorations too. The decorations are pretty and very delicate too - quite a change from usual xmas baubles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the handmade Christmas look. Your so right about wedding tho! wouldn't those roses look cute in a bridle bouquet! xx

      Delete
  10. Wow it's amazing how many things you can make with a doily - very creative! Think my favourite is the bauble :) x

    ReplyDelete